Welcome to Houston Graduate School of Theology
Thank you for exploring Houston Graduate School of Theology—the only fully accredited, Houston-based, Protestant seminary in Houston.
Founded in 1983, HGST is accredited by The Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada (ATS) to offer three master’s degrees—Master of Divinity, Master of Theological Studies, and Master of Arts in Counseling—and the Doctor of Ministry degree (see the academic policies section for Commission contact information). As a learning community of faith, HGST faculty, staff, and students care about and support one another as they discern their calling to participate in God’s redemptive activity in the world.
Houston Graduate School of Theology offers many benefits including the following—
- Commitment to Quality—HGST faculty and staff are committed to the pursuit of excellence in every facet of the seminary experience
- Affordable Cost—Courses and degree programs offer excellent financial value with seminary staff dedicated to helping students secure adequate funding
- Class Selection—Approximately forty classes are offered every semester allowing students to complete their entire degree in Houston
- Convenient Schedules—Classes are offered in the daytimes and evenings, on weekends, and online to fit work and family responsibilities
- Customized Pace—Students may choose to study full- or part-time; to take classes in pursuit of a specific degree or certificate program; or to fulfill degree completion requirements as a non-degree student
- Rich Diversity—Students attend classes with men and women from a wide range of denominational and non-denominational traditions, representing many cultural backgrounds
- Personal Attention—Classes are small enough for active participation but large enough for ample dialogue
- Specialized Study—Stand-alone certificates or degree concentrations in Missional Leadership, Christian Spirituality, or Spiritual Direction are available
To learn more about how to discern and share your journey of faith as a Christian leader or a Christian counselor, please review the contents of this Academic Catalog and contact the HGST faculty and staff for helpful direction.
James H. Furr, Ph.D.