Welcome to Houston Graduate School of Theology
Thank you for exploring Houston Graduate School of Theologyâ€”the only fully accredited, Houston-based, Protestant seminary in Houston.
Founded in 1983, HGST is accredited by The Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada (ATS) to offer three masterâ€™s degreesâ€”Master of Divinity, Master of Theological Studies, and Master of Arts in Counselingâ€”and the Doctor of Ministry degree (see the academic policies section for Commission contact information). As a learning community of faith, HGST faculty, staff, and students care about and support one another as they discern their calling to participate in Godâ€™s redemptive activity in the world.
Houston Graduate School of Theology offers many benefits including the followingâ€”
- Commitment to Qualityâ€”HGST faculty and staff are committed to the pursuit of excellence in every facet of the seminary experience
- Affordable Costâ€”Courses and degree programs offer excellent financial value with seminary staff dedicated to helping students secure adequate funding
- Class Selectionâ€”Approximately forty classes are offered every semester allowing students to complete their entire degree in Houston
- Convenient Schedulesâ€”Classes are offered in the daytimes and evenings, on weekends, and online to fit work and family responsibilities
- Customized Paceâ€”Students may choose to study full- or part-time; to take classes in pursuit of a specific degree or certificate program; or to fulfill degree completion requirements as a non-degree student
- Rich Diversityâ€”Students attend classes with men and women from a wide range of denominational and non-denominational traditions, representing many cultural backgrounds
- Personal Attentionâ€”Classes are small enough for active participation but large enough for ample dialogue
- Specialized Studyâ€”Stand-alone certificates or degree concentrations in Missional Leadership, Christian Spirituality, or Spiritual Direction are available
To learn more about how to discern and share your journey of faith as a Christian leader or a Christian counselor, please review the contents of this Academic Catalog and contact the HGST faculty and staff for helpful direction.
James H. Furr, Ph.D.