The Missional Leadership Practicum
Dr. Herbert Fain, Missional Leadership Practicum Director
The Missional Leadership Practicum experiences provide students with the opportunity to integrate what they learn in the classroom with practical experience.
Most students who come to HGST begin with some prior experience at the lay or professional level. However, most have not achieved a level of competency that comes with graduate theological education and integration of new knowledge into a professional context.
The Missional Leadership Practicum experience gives students further opportunity for supervised training in field settings so that they attain higher proficiency as reflective practitioners.
Each missional leadership practicum (PL 780 and PL 781) is completed part-time during a semester or summer and requires 150 hours of coursework and fieldwork in a congregation, local mission, or community agency (normally 10 hours per week for 15 weeks). In addition to fieldwork at the practicum site, the student attends the weekly class meeting at HGST and completes assignments. Each missional leadership practicum is a specialized experience that focuses on select areas of ministry as agreed upon by the student and mentor.
- Prior to enrollment in PL 780, students are required to have completed one-half of the degree program.
- Students are also required to select one of the following options for completion prior to the beginning of PL 780:
- Completion of the Faithwalking 101 Retreat and 201 Series (registration at faithwalking.us); or,
- Completion of at least six of twelve spiritual direction sessions with a certified spiritual director, with plans to complete the remaining sessions during the practicum experience
- Prior to enrollment in PL 781, students are required to have completed PL 780 and be nearing completion of the degree program.
Houston Graduate School of Theology
Dr. Herbert Fain, Ministry Practicum Field Director
Phone: 713-942-9505 ext. 213