Houston Graduate School of Theology
International applicants should submit the following:
- Master’s Application
- Application Fee ($50 before the application deadline and $100 after the deadline)
- Evaluated international transcripts sent directly to HGST from the credentialing agency. HGST prefers that prospective students use World Education Services (WES), Foreign Academic Credentials Service (FACS), SpanTran Evaluation Services, or Global Credential Evaluators (GCE).
- Three reference forms (one academic, one pastoral, and one personal or professional)
- Completed admission questions for the appropriate program (MAC, MAML, MASD, MDiv, MTS)
- For applicants whose first language is not English, a TOEFL score must be submitted. HGST’s institution code is 0017. Applicants must score at least 550 (written), 213 (computer-based), or 79 (internet-based).
- Master of Arts in Counseling applicants must take the GRE General Test unless applicant receives a waiver. Scores from up to five years prior to application will be accepted. HGST’s GRE institution code is 6957. The minimum score is 281 combined.
- If admitted, international students will be asked to complete the English Proficiency Exam at HGST upon arrival in Houston. The exam is fifty multiple-choice questions and is free of charge.
If admitted as a student, international applicants must also submit the following to HGST:
- Certificate of Finance & Affidavit of Support
- Immigration Documentation Processing Fees
- Once an applicant is admitted, he or she is required to obtain an F-1 Visa to study in the United States.
Please contact Linda Long with all questions about obtaining an F-1 visa. For a comprehensive guide to obtaining a student visa and maintaining visa status, please visit the Study in the States website.
International Transfer Students
In addition to the above requirements, international transfer students should follow the steps below:
- Notify their current school Designated School Official (DSO) that they intend to transfer
- Provide their current DSO with proof of acceptance to HGST
- Provide their current DSO with the name and email address of the HGST DSO, Linda Long
- Provide the HGST DSO with the name and contact information of the DSO at their current school
- Continue attending classes at their current school until the transfer is completed in the SEVIS system
Non-international transfer students may follow the normal application procedure outlined on the admission requirements page.