Houston Graduate School of Theology

HGST Blog

Academic Excellence, Personal Transformation, Leadership Development

Thomas Merton's Prayer Is Worth Praying

by David B. Capes Thomas Merton may be one of the best known Christian mystics of the 20th century.  He was a Trappist monk who experienced life in period few of us know or remember.  He was born in 1915 and died way too soon, by electricution, in 1968, in Thailand.  He was 53 years old.

Despite his shortened life Merton authored about 70 books.  His words and poetry have had an enduring influence on Christians and others who are delving deeply into the contemplative life. merton-photo

I came across the prayer below the other day. I thought I'd share it with you because we are all on a difficult, spiritual journey and knowing and doing God's will seems so elusive.  Read it as Merton wrote it, as a contemplative prayer.  I do not know the attribution, that is, where it first appeared in print.  If you can point me that direction, I'd be grateful.

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end.

Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following Your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please You does in fact please You. And I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.

And I know that if I do this, You will lead me by the right road although I may know nothing about it.

Therefore will I trust You always, though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death, I will not fear, for You are ever with me, and will never leave me to face my perils alone.

Thomas Merton